PFLAG Houston Statement on AG Paxton Opinion and Gov. Abbott Directive about Trans Youth Healthcare
PFLAG Houston firmly opposes Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s opinion and Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s directive concerning transgender youth healthcare.
PFLAG provides support, education, and advocacy to LGBTQ+ individuals, their family members, and allies. We believe that all children should be valued by society and deserve to be safe. These communications are in direct opposition to everything that PFLAG espouses. Supporting transgender children through medically necessary, gender affirming health care is the opposite of child abuse.
Every major medical association has made clear that affirming healthcare for transgender youth is medically necessary and lifesaving. The communications from the AG and Governor do nothing but stir up misinformation, confusion, and worry for families of transgender youth as well as for mandatory reporters.
Facts from the ACLU of Texas:
- The law is clear that parents, guardians, and doctors can provide transgender youth with treatment in accordance with prevailing standards of care.
- The AG opinion and the Governor’s letter are not legally binding. Neither the AG nor the Governor can change the law, and it is up to the courts to interpret Texas laws and the Constitution.
- No court in Texas or anywhere else in the country has ever found that gender affirming care can be considered child abuse.
- Texas law protects families from false reports of child abuse, and federal law protects transgender students’ privacy in schools.
- This is purely political posturing on the eve of primary elections from politicians that have proven anti-LGBTQ+ track records.
- Keep on loving and supporting your transgender kids! Research by The Trevor Project has found that gender affirming care can be lifesaving, and transgender youth who have accepting parents are less likely to attempt suicide.
- If anyone you know is in a situation of false reporting, please direct them to reach out to Lambda Legal and the ACLU of Texas. They are standing by and ready to help.
- Show your support for transgender youth and their families! Tweet, post, and shout from the rooftops that transgender children are worthy of love, belonging, and affirmation.
- Send a message to the Texas Department of Family Protective Services, urging them to follow their duty to protect Texas children by not enforcing the non-binding AG opinion or Governor letter.
- Follow the ACLU of Texas and Lambda Legal for legal information and follow Equality Texas and Transgender Education Network of Texas for action steps. Support all of these organizations!
- Come to a PFLAG Houston small group meeting to get peer support. Visit our website for details.
- Donate to PFLAG Houston to help support parents and loved ones of transgender youth.
Parents and caregivers of transgender children, you are not alone. PFLAG Houston is here for you.
March 10, 2022
Note: Please check www.Txtranskids.org for updates on the Governor's directive, legal happenings, and resources for Texas parents with trans minors.